On Sept. 27, 2016, the second matchday of the 2016-17 UEFA Champions League’s group stage started with eight games. Although every match was significant for the qualification for the knockout phase, Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund were the derby protagonists of the day.
Borussia Dortmund 2-2 Real Madrid
The derby of the second matchday of the UEFA Champions League’s group stage ended with a draw. Real Madrid could not defeat Borussia Dortmund, at the Westfalenstadion. The final score was 2-2.
Cristiano Ronaldo scored the first goal of the night, giving his team the advantage after only 17 minutes. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored for Borussia Dortmund a few minutes before halftime.
The score of the first half remained 1-1, although, Ronaldo had the chance to put the ball in the net for the second time. However, his goal was ruled out because it was offside.
Zinedine Zidane’s crew won the advantage again in the second half. Karim Benzema hit the post, but the ball reached Raphael Varane who scored without a problem. However, Andre Schurrle established the final score in the last minutes of the game.
This was the first draw between Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund since 2012. As of today, the German team obtained the 5th consecutive game without a loss in the 2016-17 season. Moreover, it was the 3rd draw in a row for Zidane’s crew.
Matchday 2 Highlights
- Ronaldo (Real Madrid) scored the first goal of the second matchday of the 2016-17 UEFA Champions League’s group stage. This was the 95th goal scored by Ronaldo in the history of the UCL.
- Denswil (Club Brugge) and Semper (Dinamo Zagreb) each scored an own goal, contributing to their teams’ losses.
- Augustinsson (FC Copenhagen) and Vietto (Sevilla) each missed a penalty kick.
- Three teams won after scoring only in the second half, while two crews secured their victories in the first 45 minutes of the game.
All the Results of Matchday 2
- CSKA Moscow 0-1 Tottenham
- Dinamo Zagreb 0-4 Juventus
- FC Copenhagen 4-0 Club Brugge
- Leicester 1-0 FC Porto
- Monaco 1-1 Bayer Leverkusen
- Sevilla 1-0 Lyon
- Sporting Lisbon 2-0 Legia Warsaw
On September 28, there will be eight other games for the second matchday of the 2016-17 Champions League season. They will all start at 11:45 a.m. PDT.
Written by Bianca-Ramona Dumitru
Edited by Cathy Milne
Daily Mail: Borussia Dortmund prepares to prolong Real Madrid’s bout of yellow fever as Thomas Tuchel readies his players for an epic Champions League clash
Image Courtesy of Dirk Vorderstraße’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License
Champions League’s Derby of the Day Ended With a Draw added by Bianca-Ramona Dumitru on September 27, 2016
View all posts by Bianca-Ramona Dumitru →